Skip to main content

Venniro and deGuglielmo

The first paper, Venniro et al (2018), explores the relationship between volitional social interaction and drug usage/addiction in rats. I thought their methodology and results quite thoroughly proved that, interestingly enough, volitional subject-controlled social interaction decreases drug self-administration in rats. The authors use the introduction to not only ground the research but to emphasis the human/clinical relevance of the findings, explaining the known relationship between social interaction and drug use in rodents, monkeys, and humans. Although I appreciate the thorough methodology used in this study and agree with the findings, I do not necessarily see the direct link to human treatment. Both addiction and social interaction are extremely sensitive and complicated processes in humans that are influenced by many other factors besides just each other. For example, genetic disposition, environment, mental health, impulsivity, introversion/extroversion, observational learning, perspective, and family influence are just a few. It truly is fascinating to see that the rats chose the social reward over drug self-administration, and that devaluing the social reward resulted in an increase in drug self-administration regardless of addiction score or drug class. However, I don’t see how this research can translate to or improve what we know about addiction in humans since social models of treatment are already used. I appreciated how the study used both male and female subjects, especially since we know for a fact there are distinct differences in addiction between sexes. Extending this study further, I would be interested in seeing how genetically predisposed or socially defeated rats – therefore, rats who are especially vulnerable and have unique relationships to the drug or social interaction – act in the same study.

The second paper, deGuglielmo et al (2019), was more neurobiology heavy and explored how the inactivation of a CRF-dependent pathway in the amygdala reverses addiction-like behaviors in alcohol-dependent rats. Although this paper was more technical and the first paper tried especially hard to explain the related clinical implications of their research, I had an easier time connecting this study to human models. I was fascinated to see that the authors were able to isolate a group of neurons related to withdrawal and alcohol-related memories and inactivate it, successfully reversing the rodent’s addictive behaviors. Perhaps this is just due to my current lack of expertise on the subject, but I would be interested in learning more about the distinction between “physical” withdrawal and “psychological” withdrawal. In other words, during withdrawal, a large part of the drive to keep drinking is to reduce somatic symptoms including sweating, vomiting, depression, and anxiety. However, there is clearly at least one, and probably many more, neuronal pathways in the amygdala directly relating to the urge to drink regardless of physical state. They mentioned this briefly in the study, but I would be interested to see how these two sides of withdrawal interact with each other, especially while optogenetically manipulating the pathway of CeA CRF neurons discussed in this paper. I would also be interested in doing this same experiment with addiction-related pathways in the nucleus accumbens. I was curious as to why this study only used male rodents since we know there is a difference in the way males and females respond to addiction and stress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...

Gut-brain axis

This weeks papers Reber et al. 2016 and Buffington et al. 2016 present a super interesting look into the gut-brain axis. Regarding both of these papers, it was amazing to see how potent favorable or unfavorable gut microbiome compositions are in affecting neuronal signaling and overall behavior. Reber et al. shows how immunoregulatory immunization with specifically heat killed M.vaccae can serve as a protective factor against chronic subordinate stress induce colotis as well as behavioral symptoms due to chronic stress as such. Interestringly, this paper depleted regulatory T cell activity via the anti CD25 antibody in order to show that the antiinflammatory mechanism induced by m vaccae immunization is depented on the secondary regulatory mechanisms offered by Treg proliferation and signaling. But, when T reg signaling was removed, this did not seem to cause a significant change in behavior . Therefore, this begs the consideration of what othe rmechanisms may be at play in order ...

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...