Skip to main content

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al. (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

Buffington et al. (2016) and Reber et al. (2016) present quite fascinating approaches to studying the interactions or ‘axis’ between the rodent (and human) gut and brain. As the gut is a primary route for bringing things from the environment into our body, these two studies present very clear and convincing evidence for the relevance and translatable validity of their various hypotheses. 

One of the most interesting conclusions to me from Buffington et al. was that co-housing three high-fat diet offspring with just one regular-diet offspring was enough to rescue their social behavior deficits and microbiome profiles. This is remarkable, and I would like to hear more about possible mechanisms for this transfer to actually occur. Although the article mentions that mice do eat each other’s feces to transfer microbiota, could there be a certain “threshold” or level of bacteria needed to observe this phenotype switch? That is, how many more high-fat diet mice could have been housed with this one regular-diet mouse for the same changes to have been observed? Is there an “unlimited” potential of this transfer process, or are there other considerations to be taken?

Another question I had regarding the same conclusion was about potential reciprocal effects. Again, the high-fat diet offspring were housed with a regular-diet mouse in order to reverse deficits in the high-fat offspring. However, is it possible for the experimental set-up to be altered where the regular-diet mice become negatively impacted? In other words, instead of regular-diet mice helping the deficient mice regain bacteria, could the high-fat diet mice actually induce negative changes in the other and take away some of their bacteria to match the microbiome of the high-fat diet mice? I don’t know if there is a paradigm where this could be observed, but I am mostly wondering if there is always a beneficial/positive outcome from fecal transfers or if there are scenarios where the outcomes are negative, too.

A final thought on these articles relates to Reber et al. One of their primary findings was that immunized mice exposed to a chronic stressor had decreased anxiety-like behavior on the EPM, which then went on to impact gene and microglia-related observations. While I do think their conclusion is valid, it has been brought up several times this semester that the EPM can be an imperfect measure of anxiety and is also just one behavioral paradigm. I wonder if the researchers considered confirming their results with 1-2 other tests, such as the open field test or novelty suppressed feeding. For me, the additional data would have strengthened their conclusion and increased its overall credibility in the context of their other findings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...

Buffington et al. and Reber et al.: Gut-Brain Interactions

While I have not encountered a lot of gut-brain interaction literature yet. I found each paper unique and fascinating. Reber et al felt inaccessible for me. I felt like I didn’t understand what the goal of the paper really was and why they did the tests that they did. It seems like most of their relevant information got shoved into numerous supplementary figures and their behavior was quite difficult to follow. Multiple sections of their paper were supported with data found entirely in supplementary figures, which makes it difficult to follow the same conclusions. I have a few issues with the behavior they chose and because of this, I struggle to find driving conclusions from their work. I don’t understand why the CSC was not only the prior stressor but was also the acute stress condition both groups faced. To me, I feel like it would have made more sense to have the CSC be the prior stressor and then judge the effect on social behavior with maybe a three choice chamber test or te...

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...