Skip to main content

Final Topic Proposal

For my final paper, I would like to write about the use of a hyperthyroid phenotype as a model for mania. While discussing the papers that we have read, I realized that with many models of psychiatric disorders, I am not fully convinced of the validity of the rodent model, or of its clinical applications. When I first began working in a neuroscience lab, the first project I worked on was aimed at investigating hyperthyroidism as a model for bipolar mania. By injecting T3 hormone in mice, it is possible to create a hyperthyroid phenotype and model bipolar mania, quantifying the symptoms of mania through the use of motion sequence (as coined by the Datta lab). Since I began working on this project, I have become very interested in the use of this hyperthyroid model to study the symptomology of mania, and hope to explore this further with my paper. I have listed some sources below:


Bunevicius, R., Prange Jr., A. J., & Velickiene, D. (2005, March 8). Mood and anxiety disorders in women with treated hyperthyroidism and ophthalmopathy caused by Graves' disease. 

Desouza, L. A., Sathanoori, M., Kapoor, R., Rajadhyaksha, N., Gonzalez, L. E., Kottmann, A. H., … Vaidya, V. A. (2011). Thyroid hormone regulates the expression of the sonic hedgehog signaling pathway in the embryonic and adult Mammalian brain. Endocrinology, 152(5), 1989– 2000. doi:10.1210/en.2010-1396 

Diez D, Grijota-Martinez C, Agretti P, De Marco G, Tonacchera M, Pinchera A, de Escobar GM, Bernal J, Morte B. Thyroid hormone action in the adult brain: gene expression profiling of the effects of single and multiple doses of triiodo-L-thyronine in the rat striatum. Endocrinology. 2008; 149:3989-4000. 

Lazarus, J. (1998). The Effects of Lithium Therapy on Thyroid and Thyrotropin-Releasing Hormone. Thyroid, 8(10), 909-913. doi:10.1089/thy.1998.8.909 


Rakov, H (2016). Sex-specific phenotypes of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism in mice. Biol Sex Differ 7, 36 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13293-016-0089-3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...

Gut-brain axis

This weeks papers Reber et al. 2016 and Buffington et al. 2016 present a super interesting look into the gut-brain axis. Regarding both of these papers, it was amazing to see how potent favorable or unfavorable gut microbiome compositions are in affecting neuronal signaling and overall behavior. Reber et al. shows how immunoregulatory immunization with specifically heat killed M.vaccae can serve as a protective factor against chronic subordinate stress induce colotis as well as behavioral symptoms due to chronic stress as such. Interestringly, this paper depleted regulatory T cell activity via the anti CD25 antibody in order to show that the antiinflammatory mechanism induced by m vaccae immunization is depented on the secondary regulatory mechanisms offered by Treg proliferation and signaling. But, when T reg signaling was removed, this did not seem to cause a significant change in behavior . Therefore, this begs the consideration of what othe rmechanisms may be at play in order ...

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...