Skip to main content

Final topic Proposal

I had originally planned on doing my paper on PTSD. In light of recent of events this week I have shifted my ideas in a different direction. After participating in organized sports for the past 20 years, my formal athletic career has come to an abrupt end. The NCAA has cancelled all championships for the winter and spring of 2020, ending my senior year and collegiate track career. As much positivity has can stem from athletics and participating in sports, the rate of eating disorders in female athletes, and specifically track and field athletes, is disproportional to the general population. Reflecting on my experiences in this sport and watching so many of my friends and teammates struggle with their relationship with food has inspired me to look into eating disorders for this research project.
I am interested in learning about the onset and cause of eating disorders as well as the common co-morbidities. I have often wondered about whether it is a manifestation of anxiety or if anxiety is secondary to the relationship with food. I am curious about the genetic component and predisposition to eating disorders and the spectrum on which they can manifest. As I have explored this topic in the context of animal research am interested to learn about the limitations as well as the applications to human studies and clinical work. This is a topic I know very little about from a scientific stand point, which is largely why I want to explore a new subject in my final weeks of undergrad in BNS.
With this topic being new to me I have been reading some review articles about the fundamentals of eating disorders as well as how they can be studied in animals. I plan to narrow my focus as I learn more about the topic, for now some of my sources include the following articles:
1.  https://www-sciencedirect-com.ezproxy.neu.edu/science/article/pii/S0306452212002606
2. https://www-sciencedirect-com.ezproxy.neu.edu/science/article/pii/S0018506X10002916
3. https://link-springer-com.ezproxy.neu.edu/article/10.1007/s13679-017-0265-8
4. https://www-sciencedirect-com.ezproxy.neu.edu/science/article/pii/S0028390811004898
5. https://www.dovepress.com/genetics-and-epigenetics-of-eating-disorders-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-AGG


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...

Gut-brain axis

This weeks papers Reber et al. 2016 and Buffington et al. 2016 present a super interesting look into the gut-brain axis. Regarding both of these papers, it was amazing to see how potent favorable or unfavorable gut microbiome compositions are in affecting neuronal signaling and overall behavior. Reber et al. shows how immunoregulatory immunization with specifically heat killed M.vaccae can serve as a protective factor against chronic subordinate stress induce colotis as well as behavioral symptoms due to chronic stress as such. Interestringly, this paper depleted regulatory T cell activity via the anti CD25 antibody in order to show that the antiinflammatory mechanism induced by m vaccae immunization is depented on the secondary regulatory mechanisms offered by Treg proliferation and signaling. But, when T reg signaling was removed, this did not seem to cause a significant change in behavior . Therefore, this begs the consideration of what othe rmechanisms may be at play in order ...

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...