Skip to main content

Final Paper Topic

I am planning to focus my final paper on examining the effects of manipulating different regions of the engram on anxiety-like behaviors. We covered a few papers earlier in the semester dealing with finding the memory trace, primarily through optogenetic manipulation of hippocampal cells. This research is really important because it has potential clinical implications for anxiety, PTSD, and phobias.

The papers I have selected so far use opto to manipulate different hippocampal and amygdala neurons involved in fear learning, consolidation, retrieval, extinction, and re-learning. I'm interested in comparing how manipulating different phases of the memory trace have different effects on the duration of a fear memory (and anxiety-like response) and the ability for extinction to be reversed and the fearful trace reactivated. I also tried to select articles that studied both male and female animals, however one that I included studies only males. When I actually write my paper, hopefully I can replace that with a different paper that studies both sexes.


Synapse-specific representation of the identity of overlapping memory engrams
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/sci/360/6394/1227.full.pdf

Acute Disruption of the Dorsal Hippocampus Impairs the Encoding and Retrieval of Trace Fear Memories
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnbeh.2019.00116/full

A time-dependent role for the transcription factor CREB in neuronal allocation to an engram underlying a fear memory revealed using a novel in vivo optogenetic tool to modulate CREB function
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41386-019-0588-0

Pharmacogenetic reactivation of the original engram evokes an extinguished fear memory
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390816303963#sec2

Distinct hippocampal engrams control extinction and relapse of fear memory
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-019-0361-z#Sec9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...

Gut-brain axis

This weeks papers Reber et al. 2016 and Buffington et al. 2016 present a super interesting look into the gut-brain axis. Regarding both of these papers, it was amazing to see how potent favorable or unfavorable gut microbiome compositions are in affecting neuronal signaling and overall behavior. Reber et al. shows how immunoregulatory immunization with specifically heat killed M.vaccae can serve as a protective factor against chronic subordinate stress induce colotis as well as behavioral symptoms due to chronic stress as such. Interestringly, this paper depleted regulatory T cell activity via the anti CD25 antibody in order to show that the antiinflammatory mechanism induced by m vaccae immunization is depented on the secondary regulatory mechanisms offered by Treg proliferation and signaling. But, when T reg signaling was removed, this did not seem to cause a significant change in behavior . Therefore, this begs the consideration of what othe rmechanisms may be at play in order ...

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...