Skip to main content

Neurogenesis & Anti-depressant Actions

            The two papers presented this week were essentially discussing whether or not neurogenesis was the mechanism for the ameliorating effects of antidepressants (ADs). Before delving into their experiments, I want to note the timeline - the Santarelli paper was published in 2003 and the Bessa paper was published in 2009. The reason I find the timing so interesting is because the papers had similar results, but the second paper was able to build upon the first, and thus had more tests and was able to come to a different conclusion. It is the progression of scientific research and questioning current research that leads to new discoveries.
            To briefly summarize, Santarelli and collaborators used the novelty-suppressed feeding (NSF) test to analyze the effects of antidepressants on mice. After establishing the effects of the ADs, the researchers used irradiation of the hippocampus (specifically the SGZ) to show that there was a reduction in cell proliferation. In the irradiated mice, the ADs had no effect on the NSF test. From their experiments, Santorelli concluded that neurogenesis must therefore play a role in the effect of antidepressants. Six years later, Bessa and collaborators used the NSF test, anhedonia, and the forced swimming test (FST) to analyze the effects of ADs. This paper also states the importance of neurogenesis and its role in the effects of ADs, but instead of concluding that neurogenesis must be the mechanism for the effects, Bessa and collaborators explained that neurogenesis in the hippocampus may integrate into neuronal networks implicated in emotional behavior and therefore modulate anxiety. This, however, is not the mechanism of ADs. Rather, after more experiments, Bessa concludes that synaptic remodeling and plasticity might be the mechanism of ADs. 
            Both papers logically make sense, and I was curious as to if this “debate” was settled post-2009. I found a paper published in 2018 by Micheli and collaborators titled “Depression and adult neurogenesis: Positive effects of the antidepressant fluoxetine and of physical exercise.” I’m not concerned by the actual experiment in that paper itself, but with the background section. I was surprised to see all the experiments reporting the correlation between antidepressants and neurogenesis, and the role neurogenesis plays in anxiety and depression. The paper also mentions, though, that there is evidence that not all antidepressant actions require neurogenesis, and that depleting neurogenesis does not cause depression-like symptoms. In fact, the paper states that some antidepressants, such as fluoxetine, which was studied in both papers above, have a dual effect of being able to enhance the generation of new neurons in addition to facilitating synaptic plasticity. So, it seems like both papers, although with seemingly opposite views, actually complement each other and contribute to the knowledge we have about ADs and neurogenesis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gut-Brain Interactions: Buffington et al, Reber et al 2016

April 13 Papers (Buffington et. al, Reber et. al) I found this week’s papers to be quite novel in that they both proposed potential treatments for neurodevelopmental or psychiatric disorders that target bacterial or microbial abnormalities and how these give rise to certain behavioral and physical symptoms associated with the disorders. I thought this was a very unusual yet interesting approach, and as I have not previously studied the gut-brain axis, these papers offered me a fresh perspective on researching psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. They were also unconventional in their focus of the physical symptoms that often accompany mental disorders, as this is not something that I have seen many other papers touch upon very much. Particularly, I was surprised by the Reber et al paper’s focus on the link between psychiatric disorders and inflammation in organs other than the brain, such as the colon, and the Buffington et al paper’s description of a relationship between ...

Buffington et al. and Reber et al.: Gut-Brain Interactions

While I have not encountered a lot of gut-brain interaction literature yet. I found each paper unique and fascinating. Reber et al felt inaccessible for me. I felt like I didn’t understand what the goal of the paper really was and why they did the tests that they did. It seems like most of their relevant information got shoved into numerous supplementary figures and their behavior was quite difficult to follow. Multiple sections of their paper were supported with data found entirely in supplementary figures, which makes it difficult to follow the same conclusions. I have a few issues with the behavior they chose and because of this, I struggle to find driving conclusions from their work. I don’t understand why the CSC was not only the prior stressor but was also the acute stress condition both groups faced. To me, I feel like it would have made more sense to have the CSC be the prior stressor and then judge the effect on social behavior with maybe a three choice chamber test or te...

Buffington et al (2016) and Reber et al. (2016)

This week's articles were about the role of the gut-brain axis in neurodevelopment and stress. Reber and colleagues used a heat-killed version of the bacteria, M. vaccae, as a type of vaccine and found that administration to mouse models resulted in decreased response to chronic stress, prevented colitis related to stress, and reduced measures of anxiety. Reber et al. also used the inactivated M. vaccae in a mouse model of IBD and found that the bacteria prevented stress-induce flare-ups of colitis, but that this could be reversed by removing T cells. Buffington and colleagues instead examined the role of gut microbiota in maternal high-fat diets (MHFD) in the neurodevelopment and social behaviors of their offspring. Buffington et al. found that housing MHFD rats with the offspring of regular diet (MRD) rats prevented social deficits in their offspring. They also found that this co-housing arrangement prevented an imbalance in the gut bacteria Reber and colleagues' findings w...